So in lieu of a ridiculously long blog post spanning a week of Utah fun, I've decided to create our "Utah Adventures Series", breaking up our photos and short stories into events. This way you can pick and choose according to that which interests you most or according to the amount of time you wish to invest.
Road trips with children are always an adventure. Always. The preparation often gives me heartburn and anxiety in spite of how many trips I've taken, most by myself. Utah trips are a completely different creature though. What should be a 9 1/2 hour drive turns into 12 hours just by adding 2 little people into the mix. Olivia is an awesome traveler. She is content to read books, color, look out the window, sing along to the Frozen soundtrack, eat snacks, take naps, and play on one of our phones. We have to take occasional potty breaks, but thanks to our car potty those can be anywhere, and usually an ice cream stop at McDonald's. Will, on the other hand, is not an awesome traveler. Or so we learned this past month. I took a trip to Livermore - I drove up with my Mom and home by myself. The trip up was bearable only because I had help. The trip home was painful. He spent at least 2 of the 6 hour trip crying.
![]() |
| Will was excited to go, and would have preferred this method of travel to the car seat. |
| On our way! |
![]() |
| This was at our stop in Barstow - the comparison of these 2 modes of transportation just made me laugh. The standard and elite models. |
Suffice it to say, after a ridiculously late start (11am due to a number of factors, one including the fact our vinyl floors were getting replaced so we had to empty and move our fridge and kitchen shelves and table) and several stops for sanity, we didn't make it to my grandparents in Provo until after 1am. We were exhausted. Olivia had been quite the trooper, and I was actually quite thankful to have been the one driving for the majority of the trip, leaving Aaron - the good sport - to battle it out with Will for most the trip. I will admit, never in my life have I been oh so tempted to give my son a dose of Benadryl to knock him out for the drive; but I didn't.
Though it wasn't exactly a restful night, we were relieved to have beds and help with our little ones, especially come morning.


Sweetest daughter Kristen, may you be forever blessed for creating this your family blog. Make sure you have a backup on a local drive of all that is in your blog, it is too priceless to ever loose--your children and grand-children will praise your holy name as we do our saintly pioneers who took the time to write in their rugged, weathered journals--such simple words inspire generations yet to come throughout the great forthcoming millennium of peace. God bless you for being you--one of the great and noble ones, valiant in recording your journey through this earthly existence, that we consider to be so real, yet it is but a type and a shadow of our real home beyond the stars, in our 1st estate with Heavenly Parents in our true Heavenly Home. Oh the joy, when we return there, to our true home, and our own bedroom, and our old toys, and our old memories. That happy day filled with sweet remembering's will come, but again, I say bless you for your diligence in making this earthly record of your 2nd estate's journey. I Love You, and thank our Heavenly Father that my beloved son has such a wonderful, kind, and awesome help-meet as you. Be strong and of good cheer, for through your small words shall great things be brought to pass. Hugs and Kudos to you! -Dad/Mark
ReplyDelete