Search This Blog

Saturday, December 10, 2011

We love and miss you Grandma Helen.

How grateful I am we had this weekend together. Olivia was able to meet her Great Great Grandma Helen! December, 2010.
Lisa is currently serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Tampa, Florida. She will be unable to attend the services, or to be here with the support of family and friends during this time. Lisa - you are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you - and just think - now Grandma can walk alongside you! You know how she loved missionary work, we learned from the best sister missionary - Helen! :)
Monday, December 5th, my Grandma Helen passed away. Although it was a difficult day, I was at peace knowing that she had returned home to our Heavenly Father to continue her life of love and service. She will be reunited with her eternal love - and with the rest of her family that has gone before her. I also felt peace knowing that she accomplished all that our Father had asked of her in this life, and more - it was her time to go. 

Aaron and I made the necessary arrangements to drive to Utah to attend her funeral. Unfortunately, the day before our trip I came down with the stomach flu. I received a Priesthood blessing, assuring me that I would recover conditional upon my taking care of myself. I was also promised peace regardless of what would happen. Friday morning I awoke feeling weak, but better - and so we packed the car and headed out. There were quite a few hiccups in our trip - we missed a turnoff, Aaron started feeling ill, I got seriously ill, our car battery died while we were parked on the side of the freeway, and fatigue hit us both very hard. As difficult as it was to admit, I know that my Heavenly Father was watching out for us - we needed to return home. We were physically too ill to make the trip safely. Especially with our concern for Olivia, there wasn't another option. The 4 hours home we were sustained by the prayers of friends and family. Despite the fact neither of us were in any condition to drive - we took turns and during our turns driving we were able to stay alert and safely get home. 

Today our hearts are in Utah - and with our family there. We are so grateful that so many were able to be there to support Grammy, Grandpa, my mom and the rest of my family. And I know that Grandma Helen is aware of our efforts to be there - but as my wise brother Jordan shared with me, she wouldn't have wanted us to have made the journey. She would want us home, resting, and together as a little family.

I love you Grandma Helen. Thank you for the profound influence you had on my life. I am so grateful for the time I was able to spend with you - talking (about anything and everything, even reading out of the dictionary!), eating (most often at the Olive Garden), laughing until someone would "lose" it, and sharing our personal testimonies of Christ and eternal families. I knew that you believed in Jesus Christ - in His mercy and love. I knew that you showed your love and commitment to Him by your deeds of charity. You are an example of Him - an example of the potential that is within each of us to serve and love those around us. Thank you. I love you and I will miss you. I find much comfort in knowing we'll be together again someday - and I look forward to that time. 

Here is Grandma's obituary:


No comments:

Post a Comment