Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

9 Days Until Christmas...

It has been one of those months. You know the kind - the kind where everything doesn't go according to plan, you can't seem to get ahead (or even just accomplish something), and you count the hours until it's time to go to bed to end another long day. On a particularly difficult day, I decided to count my blessings - I was in need of a serious pick-me-up. I was amazed to realize that while I had been focusing on the not so wonderful things about this month (and there are many), so many very wonderful things were happening. Josh proposed to my beautiful sister Michelle, and she said yes. My sister-in-law Allison received her mission call for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Houston Texas East Mission. I received packages in the mail from family with things from my Grandma Helen, Christmas decor items, and let's not forget those gifts I've purchased online (saving me from the traffic in LA). Since we were home sick, Aaron and I were able to spend some much needed time together and we fell in love the show Grimm, watching 2-3 episodes a night to catch up on this season. In 9 days I get to talk with my sister Lisa who is currently serving a mission in Tampa, Florida - although we do receive emails from her once a week - I cannot wait to hear her laugh. I miss her so much...and in case she reads this...I'll just say that I also know how many days there are until she gets home. And let's not forget the most amazing thing that's been happening during this crazy month - because of my trials, I have been drawn more to Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father. I have had to depend on Them for strength, patience, and understanding. My faith has increased as I have knelt in prayer, pleading for guidance. I have felt a renewed desire to serve others and to love more - and isn't that the Christmas message? What better example do we have of love than the Father sending us His only Begotten Son to live, die, and then resurrect for each of us? I am grateful for the Christmas season, and I am grateful for those quiet moments when the Spirit reminds us that our trials are only for a season and will be for our good.

So, looking forward to these next 9 days until Christmas...yes, there is MUCH to do...but I can move forward with a cheerful heart and renewed strength. And let's not forget the joy I find in Christmas traditions - homemade bread to deliver, homemade eggnog, Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the cartoon), It's a Wonderful Life, caroling, gift giving, Christmas crepes, and so much more.

2 comments:

  1. I love you Kristen. Just what I needed to read this morning. You're amazing. <3 Mom

    ReplyDelete