So...technically last year was my first Mother's Day since I was pregnant with Olivia...but all things considered, this Mother's Day takes the cake. There is something special about sharing the day with my little family - being able to hold my baby girl and enjoy the day with both her and my sweet husband. This Mother's Day was also special because it is the first in 5 years that I have celebrated with my mother. And if that wasn't enough - we also got to Skype with my sister Lisa, our missionary in Florida. It was a day to remember.
My special day actually started at midnight the night before when Aaron got up with Olivia (and the subsequent 2 times) so that I could get some extra sleep. After a long night's sleep, I woke up to breakfast in bed! I wish I had had a camera - in came Aaron with Olivia in the Baby Bjorn on his front; he was carrying the breakfast tray with food and Olivia was carrying - well, sucking on my Mother's Day card. It was a hilarious, and ridiculously endearing. I didn't even have to tear the second half of the envelope, it rather dissolved in my hand! We shared breakfast and I cried through Aaron's sweet card. Getting to church, and through church for that matter, can be an adventure - it's right during Olivia's naptime, so consequently, she doesn't really nap on Sundays --- which for all you mothers, you understand that equals one long day --- but it was a beautiful service and tribute to mothers.
| This is us in the morning - first time mom and grandma! :) |
We hurried home after church to talk with Lisa - it's quite a big deal, considering we only get to talk with her 2 times a year (she's gone for 18 months). We are grateful to technology that enabled us to see and talk with her. She looks happy, healthy, and tan! That Florida sun is sure calling my name! We enjoyed many tender moments with her - and some hilarious ones too - including the time when she and the laptop fell off the bed she was sitting on! I also came home to a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a darling t-shirt with Livi's hand and foot prints made by Aaron (creative, right?! such a great man I have!). Funny story about the tshirt - earlier that morning, when I was getting Olivia dressed for church, I was perplexed by her pink toes - not rosy colored toes - but bright pink toes! I couldn't figure out where the dye had come from! I asked my dad about it at church and he just shrugged. Come to find out later, it was from the marker that Aaron had used to trace her little feet. Haha.
| Although it looks like we planned to coordinate, we didn't! :) I had to laugh when Mom came downstairs ALSO dressed in green! What can I say, green is our favorite color! |
Aaron, Dad, and Jordan prepared our dinner - we had lasagna, salad, bread, and beautifully set table. Not only did they arrange for the food, but took care of the clean up too. It was fun to be together. Dad and Jordan decorated the house with posters, and Dad gave me a great present (that unknowlingly for me, he wrapped in front of me!) - the Kings Speech, some chocolates, and a notepad for all my note taking/journaling. It was a wonderful day - I felt super spoiled and loved.
It is sure amazing to step back and look at the day in perspective. 5 years ago, I returned from my mission in Chicago just in time to celebrate Mother's Day with my mom...now, 5 years later, we are together again - I am celebrating my first Mother's Day as a mom, and she celebrated her first as a grandma. I loved being here with her. She is an incredible woman, and one I hope to emulate throughout my life. She has been an example to me of love, selfless service, and an enthusiasm for life. She is not only my mother, but my friend. I am so grateful for the shared experiences we have - not only as mother and daughter, but as wives and now as mothers. I love you Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment