Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Is it really a vacation?

Aren't vacations supposed to be a time to relax and kick back? Aren't we supposed to be able to sit on the beach and have folks bring us tuna sandwiches and lemonade? Aren't we supposed to enjoy luxury hotel rooms and room service?!

Haha --- and then you wake up to reality. Family vacations are a must - and I enjoyed so many growing up. Even though most of our family trips were to Utah and Idaho, as a kid everything was planned and prepared for me! Mom made sure I had the right clothes, the right amount of clothes, enough food/drink, games and toys, shampoo and soap....basically she did it all! I loved vacations - I did just relax and kick back, or play it up as it was. I didn't think the day would ever come when I was that mom - responsible for making sure everything was prepared and packed for our little family! The time has come, and I'm a little stressed - and I only have a 7 month old!!!! How do my mom do it?!

We are excited to head to Utah this next week to visit family and friends and to celebrate Matthew's high school graduation. That being said, this so called "vacation" is currently giving me headache!

There is so much to pack for a little person for 2 weeks, not to mention packing things to keep her entertained in a car! At 7 months, Olivia is crawling and loves to move around --- not so possible in a car. Of course we plan to make stops to eat, stretch and play, but we'd rather this not be a 20 hour drive. We also plan to split the trip into a 2 day drive, but all the same - headache. :) I'm also working through the what to bring vs what not to bring of Olivia's things. How many diapers and toys, do I bring her bathtub, which stroller (or both), how many outfits, etc.

On top of that - I should probably think about what I'm packing for myself! Haha. The laundry will definitely need doing. For me it's not so much what to bring, but the fact I don't have much to bring (with respect to clothes). I'm still in denial about the length of time it will take me to lose the pregnancy weight - and I really don't want to buy clothes at my current size - but I know that I need to buy for where I'm at now so I feel the most confident possible. Aaron is on his own for packing.

And why is it that the car seems packed tight whether we're going for a weekend trip OR 2 weeks?! There's the baby gear and bags, a suitcase for Aaron and me, a bathroom bag, shoes, coats (hopefully we won't need these), electronics (laptop, camera, etc.), books and games for the drive, and of course - FOOD/DRINK. Our little Honda Accord is literally bursting at the seams! Well - at least it was when we moved to California. I'm hoping that isn't so much the case for our Utah trip.

I also am "anxious" about how Olivia will take to the drive, the new faces, the broken routines, unfamiliar settings, etc. It will be a lot of change in a short amount of time. I'm assuming it will take her a day or so to adjust after the long drive as well...just in time for us to make shorter road trips to southern Utah and Idaho. Oh my. Poor Livi. She is an amazing little girl - I'm sure she'll surprise me with her flexibility (at least, I hope!).

But to end on a positive note - I am SO looking forward to time with family and friends. Utah is home, and probably will always feel that way. We have missed everyone so much - and we know they have missed Livi. :)
In spite of the headaches of preparing, packing, and traveling, it will be a wonderful vacation.

(And then we'll come home to REST!)

1 comment:

  1. We have traveled twice with Blake up to Oregon to see my parents...I've learned to bring only enough diapers/formula/food for baby for the ride. Then buy what you need for the week when you get there...less "things" to worry about while packing. And in our case, my mom has been kind enough to buy some of the baby essentials, like a bath tub,shampoo, burp rags etc. to keep at their house. Good luck! Maybe we'll see you guys while you are here! :)

    ReplyDelete