Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Will: 6 Months Old (photos to come soon)

This month has been a busy one for our little man. His greatest feat? Rolling over! Will has hated tummy time - absolutely everything about it. So what motivation has he had to roll from his back to his stomach? None. And when he's been on his stomach, there is definitely motivation to turn onto his back, but he is usually so upset he just buries his head into his quilt or the carpet and cries. Dramatic is an understatement. But in spite of it all, he conquered his fears and can roll over, both ways! Olivia is his biggest cheerleader. She claps, cheers "Yay baby 'Way'!"(she can't say "Will", so she calls him "Way" - I've thought about spelling it "Wae" since those are his initials), and always follows up with "Good job, baby Way!". He loves to see her smile. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if his motivation to roll over was to make his big sister happy. They adore each other.

Will continues to be very vocal. His baby babble vocabulary has greatly increased. He even said his first consonants - something to the effect of "Dada" on Oct. 16th! We'll see if he's attached that to Aaron with time. Why is it that kids always say Dad first? :) He usually wakes up super happy - and is content to stay in bed and talk for up to half hour. He is pretty loud though, so no one else gets much sleep. Will has been sleeping in Livi's room (although with this recent growth spurt and possible teething, we are re-sleep training back in with us --- let's just say we aren't sleeping much in this household). He really does sleep best in his crib and he loves the wooden bird that hangs above it.

He giggles more than any baby I've met. He laughs the most at Livi and her craziness, but also loves to be tickled, teased, and played with. He laughs at funny noises - especially squeaky ones like his blue elephant and a pink rattle toy of Livi's as a baby. And let's face it, he just loves to play. His favorite game: peek-a-boo. Simply throw a blanket or burp cloth over his head and he'll pull it off with a huge smile as you say "I see you!" or "Peek-a-boo!" Hours of endless fun. (Although I can only play this game for a max of 10 minutes).

His backward crawl motion he uses all the time, in fact, it's any time he gets excited. And in any position! When we hold him, when he's sitting in his Bumbo, when he's in the bouncer, when he's in his swing, when he's in the carseat or stroller, in his crib, and of course, on the floor. In fact, we've had to put a blanket at the head of his crib because he'll hit his head into the slats! I guess I'll be pulling out those bumper pads if he doesn't get the hang of it soon. He doesn't have much of an interest in sitting up. At all. I have tried to sit him on the floor with me, with the Boppy or other pillows, but he just folds himself in half and eats his quilt. Yup. Not interested. So here's to finding other ways to get him interested in sitting up on his own! 

He is our little not so chunky monkey - definitely not as chubby as his sister at this age - but he has the cutest chubby cheeks and thighs; his mid section and arms are skinny skinny! At his most recent check up (technically his 4 month, though he was 5 1/2 months old) he weighed 17 lbs. 1 oz and was 26 inches tall! That puts him at the 48th percentile for weight and the 34th percentile for his height. But have no fear, he's got my big head - coming in at the 87th percentile with 17.5 inches head circumference.

He has a few favorite toys - Olivia had SO. MANY. TOYS. William is content with his O'Balls (green rattle one, blue and orange football, and his flexi-loops one), his connecting rings, and either his crinkly elephant or crinkly book. Sure, we show him all kinds of rattles, blocks, animals, etc - afterall, Olivia had so many toys - but he always goes back to his favorites. I'm grateful - they are easy to pack around and easy to wash!

I am a HUGE advocate of reading to your children. HUGE. My love for children's books has us nearly bankrupt! (that is a gross exaggeration, but Aaron does ask pretty frequently: "You bought another book?!") I know that we have libraries - but I am terrible at returning books on time and I get far too attached. When we did go to the library and pick out books, we'd (Olivia and I) find that we loved the books so much that I'd order them on Amazon the next day. Tangent to get to the point: Will loves looking at books. He even turns the pages (board books of course). He loves my classic bedtime books: Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You, Goodnight Owl, You Are My Sunshine, and I Love You Through and Through. He also loves any books that have animals in them so that Olivia and I will make all the animal noises: The Big Red Barn and Farm are a couple. Then of course there's the Napping House - maybe because it makes Livi giggle so much! He is a great reader, he sits still for even the longest of books! Olivia loves to read him But No Elephants (thank you Lala!) - I'm amazed at the details she remembers to "read" him. I read to the kiddos every night - and on the rare occasion that Will goes to bed before Livi she gets SO upset! She loves to have Will lay on her bunkbed with her or snuggle on the couch with us while I read them bedtime books.

Food. Hmph. Not too long ago, he was chugging 7 oz, but also spitting up about 5 oz (exaggeration of course). I cut him down to just 5 oz and although his spit up lessened, he would be so upset that there wasn't more milk! Just recently, we compromised at 6 oz - still some off days, but I'm hopeful. This crazy growth spurt has me all confused with how much and how often since his stomach seems to be a bottomless pit.  I have been hesitant to give him solid food because of his tummy issues, but at his check up the doctor suggested we try it out because the rice cereal or oatmeal will most likely help him keep food down and keep him filled longer on less quantity.

Hugs. This little man gives the cutest hugs. If he's laying down or sitting in one of his chairs, he'll reach up for me opening and closing his little hands. When I pick him up he snuggles right in, burying his head in my chest and doing the same opening/closing hands motion on my arms. Melts. My. Heart. And let's not forget the open mouth kisses. Will is so full of love - and loves to show it.

I felt very strongly that Will needed to come into our family when he did - it wasn't necessarily the easiest time for our little family (we had a LOT going on) - but it was the right time. Every day I feel a confirmation of that truth. He has been my little angel. His joy, laughter and love, his smile, and cheerful countenance and peaceful personality have filled my heart with gratitude and hope. Life can be tough at times - and I'm going through just one of those times - but I know that our Heavenly Father reaches out to us in unique and personal  ways. I realized that He has reached out to me through my sweet son (and also through my spirited 3 year old who, even with her stubbornness, exudes so much love, understanding, and patience with me). I am so grateful to be a mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment