October 24-27th
The only thing I ever really want for my birthday is a ticket to a BYU football game. And my family does all they can to make my birthday dreams come true. From contributing to my All Sports Pass (yeah, that's what it was once called at BYU, not this new fandangled ROC thing) to a ticket to the San Jose State game in San Jose last year with my Dad and brother Jordan. BYU football (and BYU sports for that matter) is a part of my genetic make up. There is something simply awe inspiring about sitting in Lavell Edwards Stadium on a crisp Fall evening watching the Cougars play. The backdrop consists of those gorgeous pink mountains, often snow capped, and those amazing Utah skies. I loved every moment of it as a student - I lived for the games - but I have come to appreciate it and miss it all the more now.
This year, for my 30th birthday, Aaron surprised me with a ticket to the Boise State game...and yes, in PROVO! I was beyond excited. The countdown began. I knew that in addition to watching some great football (including my favorite Kyle Van Noy), eating some fattening but delicious food (Cougar tails), sitting in Lavell Edwards Stadium (with those gorgeous mountains), and singing our fight song (hopefully many many times), I would be sharing the experience with my favorite BYU fan - my Grandpa.
There aren't words adequate enough to express how much I love, respect, and enjoy my Grandpa. There is absolutely no one else I would rather go to a game with than him. Seriously. And it isn't because he spoils me rotten by: arriving early to wander around and win free BYU swag at the tailgate party, or eating a delicious meal (rib sandwiches, mint brownies and BYU chocolate milk) in the Cougar Club complete with the Cougarettes and awesome speakers (this year it was Daniel Coates, one of my all time favorite players, I even had a New Testament class with him), or the Cougar Tails, or the great seats, or whatever else my heart so desires! No, it has to do with our shared love of the game, the team, the school, the spirit, and of each other. My Grandpa has been, is and ever will be one of my closest friends. Simple as that.
And as if my life wasn't complete after the football game, Grandpa also took me to the BYU Basketball exhibition game vs. Alaska Anchorage Saturday night. Sure, it was just an exhibition game, but BYU didn't hold back - I got to experience the everything as though it were a regular season game (with the exception of a half time show). Nothing like watching Haws and Carlino and the rest of the team. And it being an exhibition game, I really did get to watch everyone play! Pretty stoked about Mika and Halford, must admit.
![]() |
| The ROC. Sorry BYU, I just don't get it. It's TINY! |
![]() |
| Not a bad final score. |
My trip also included a lunch at Brick Oven with Grammy, Grandpa, Jordan and his girlfriend Lauren. They have this new deal there - the Heaps Special. OH and it IS special. Unlimited pizza, soup and salad. They keep bringing pizzas around and around - wow. I think I had at least 7 slices. Delicious. And it included dessert too. Couldn't have been better. Although, I had to roll myself out. Way. Too. Much. Food. The company was the best part. I loved spending time with my family and getting to know Lauren.
Other than eating, watching BYU sports, and sleeping as much as humanly possible - I enjoyed chats with Grammy and Grandpa in the TV room and front room, making crepe suzettes with Jordan for dinner with the family, shopping at Deseret Book/Distribution and the BYU Bookstore, and visiting BYU campus. I was amazed, confused, shocked, saddened, and excited for all the changes on campus. New buildings, new landscaping, new names for restaurants (my Sugar 'n' Spice is now the Campus Cafe), they even erased roads! But it still felt like home.
![]() |
| I miss these colors. |
![]() |
| Provo |
![]() |
| Los Angeles |
Thank you Aaron for giving me the gift of not only BYU Football for my birthday - but the gifts of grandparents, brother, great food, and sleep.






















This post just warms my heart. I love you so much sister and I am so glad you had such a wonderful time up there
ReplyDeletethank you my beautiful granddaughter, it was a wonderful weekend, sure glad you missed your flight. Lets do it all again. Love Grandpa
ReplyDeleteoh this is so happy. just reading this now. i need to be better haha buut this was so fun to read! sounds like a great trip! thanks for sharing!!!
ReplyDelete