Search This Blog
Friday, September 10, 2010
Joy in the Service
With my little sister preparing to leave on a mission, I have been drawn to reflect on my own missionary experiences. I have been reading and praying more consistently in Spanish - and I have been looking for opportunities to reach out and serve. When I think about my mission, the words joy and service are interchangeable. It's incredible how happy I was, even through the difficult times, because I was in the service of my brothers and sisters, and more importantly in the service of my God. I felt lifted up, guided, and filled with love. Coming home from my mission was difficult - I felt lost at first. Without the missionary mantle, I felt as though I had lost a part of me. However, with time, I discovered that with or without a missionary tag, I could be filled with the same joy as I served those around me. Over the past few years, I have not looked for missionary opportunities, nor have I committed myself to my church service. I have had other aspects of my life that required attention. However, as I mentioned before - since Lisa received her call, I have been yearning to feel what I once felt. I prayed for opportunities to serve, to reach outside the walls of my own home, to see others as our Father in Heaven sees them. My answer came in the form of a visiting teaching assignment. Several weeks ago, the Relief Society president asked if anyone spoke Spanish - I tried not to look too eager as I rose my hand. Following the meeting she told me that there is a woman within our ward boundaries who speaks limited English and asked if I would be willing to visit her. I immediately felt a responsibility to and for this Sister Ortiz. I was anxious to meet her and anxious to serve. It took a few weeks before I finally met her. Aaron drove me to her house after church one Sunday - I found her at home with her grandchildren, daughter, son, and tamales in tow. Walking into her home and speaking with her took me back 4 years to Chicago - the sights, the smells, the language, the culture - I felt completely at home. After a short conversation, I set up a time for AliceAnn (my VT companion) and I to return. I was filled with such a grateful spirit; the Lord had heard my prayers. Something so simple as introducing this woman into my life has truly changed my life. The first appointment fell through, but we visited her last night. I could relate every detail - but suffice it to say that the Lord continues to put into our hearts what we should say - even if we don't know what it will be ahead of time. As we sat down with her and I asked her questions about her family - the Spirit flooded the room. She shared that her father has recently passed away in Mexico, and although she did attend the services - she feels alone and grieves deeply for him. Her tears came freely and I remember that I taught her about God's plan for families. There was much said and shared - edifying to all of us there. Our Father in Heaven is so acutely aware of each of us and our needs. He knew that I could breach a language barrier with this sister - and serving her has reminded me and filled me with that joy in service. I feel humbled and acknowledged by my Father in Heaven. As we left, Sister Ortiz gave me an entire bag of tamales to enjoy and was sincere in anticipating our next visit. I left with a weight I didn't know existed lifted - I felt lighter, happier, and even glowing. It's the same feeling I have when I leave the temple - it is a physical change, an empowerment. I am grateful for missionary service - for a sister who has inspired me to be more than I have been - to be who I can be. I am also grateful for prayer and for the surety that God hears and answers them perfectly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment