Search This Blog

Monday, March 11, 2013

My First Nephew: Samuel Joshua Moody!

Perhaps I've delayed writing this post because of the complexities of my journey to and from little Kirksville, Missouri. Or perhaps it's because of how much I miss my little Sam I Am. Or perhaps it's simply because I've been tired, busy and pregnant. :) But needless to say, it is definitely time. I'll try to keep it to the nutshell version...

After quite some deliberation and planning (scheduling and pregnancy and the expense of flights), I booked flights to be there when my sister Michelle was to have her first baby - a boy - on February 22nd. Because of baby's size, the doctor had recommended a c-section, which considering my mom's and my history came as no big surprise to us. But you can imagine our surprise when Michelle's water broke early early on the 15th and she went into labor! We were so excited to meet little Sam (well, we didn't know his name yet)! Our excitement was also met with some degree of disappointment and heartache - Mom was stuck in California, she couldn't find any flight that would get there in time. I was in a car, driving home with Aaron and Livi after our stay in Utah for Grandma's memorial service and Matt's farewell. Michelle and Josh were on their own!

The birth story is really Michelle's to share - but suffice it to say - it was an all day and intense labor, but thankfully, little Samuel was born at 10:56pm, and Michelle was okay - wiped and sore, but happy and healthy. 7 lbs 10 oz, 20 1/2 inches long - Sam was one healthy little boy, and absolutely darling and perfect. We were so blessed to be able to Skype with the little Moody family that night (it was somewhere around 3am their time!), and I was so overcome to see my baby sister as a mama and to see my most handsome little nephew. Wow. Even writing about that night makes me cry again! Darn pregnancy hormones of my own! Mom joined their little family the next day.

I decided I'd still be going out to Missouri the following weekend- how could I pass up that opportunity? But the weather seemed to have other plans for me. In a few short words here's a summary of my flight attempts to Kirksville: flight cancelled from St. Louis to Kirksville, arranged for hotel in St. Louis and changed flight from St. Louis to Kirksville for following day, flight cancelled from LAX to St. Louis (as I was waiting to board), flights changed to next day, hotel stay cancelled, finally left LAX and arrived in Chicago, flight delayed to St Louis but got there, had to run to catch flight from St. Louis to Kirksville, that flight slightly delayed so no need to have run through the airport (although must have been funny picture to see preggo lady running with luggage), finally to Kirksville and Sam. And my flight attempts home (Mom was with me thankfully): flight cancelled to St. Louis from Kirksville, had to change flight from St. Louis to Denver (which would have been delayed/cancelled within a couple hours) to later in the day, no rental cars, no bus, no train, no way to St. Louis, road trip with Josh (leaving Chelle and Sam alone) to St. Louis, wait, wait, massage (thanks Mom), wait, flight on time, made it to Vegas, 2 hour layover, flight on time, finally home to LAX. There was so much stress, drama, and everything else that resulted from those travels - my feet haven't been the same since! (permanent cankles it seems) But it was SO worth it. I was able to spend a few days spoiling my nephew and spending time with my sister and mom (and Josh!). We decorated his nursery (and discovered the miracle of wallpaper glue), made a couple trips to WalMart and Walgreens for various things (there's not much in Kirksville), and took turns just oodling over Sam. I didn't even mind the few times he pee'd on me. :) Gotta love boys!  I went a little camera crazy, but couldn't resist his darling little face.

I absolutely LOVE being an aunt. We've skyped since and I can't wait to hold the little munchkin again. Although he's quite chunkier these days! I am so proud of my darling sister (and her hubby), they will be amazing parents, and I am so in love with Sam.

Here are some of my favorites, I think I've already shared them on Facebook, so nothing new for most of you - but so much more fun to have archived on our family blog.






























No comments:

Post a Comment