Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Princess Bed and NO MORE BINKIES!

Here is Olivia's room makeover! She loves her new "princess bed" and reading corner. The bed is the Kura reversible bed from IKEA. I covered the bright blue panels in a green patterned fabric using a spray adhesive. I hung a shower curtain (haven't ironed or hemmed it yet as you can see) from a shower curtain rod. Olivia loves the privacy it gives her, she has already spent hours playing with her princesses and reading in there. Originally I was hoping to use it as a loft bed and create a little fort underneath with her favorite toys, but she's just too young yet - maybe in another couple years. Aaron did an amazing job putting it together for me, and did it even while he was sick! Such a handy man. I love the pink and green everywhere, it really is "Olivia". 
Even before her princess bed, these items always have to be on her bed (her crib turned toddler bed was getting quite crowded): pillows, Dumbo, Big Bear, Pooh, Kanga, Roo and baby Dumbo - who has recently gotten lost! We've been on the search for days now. Olivia picked out her new bedding from Target - she was torn between the owl bedding and the bug bedding at first, but after some quick deliberation she chose bugs. Fitting since she's our little Bug.
Here's a closeup of the letters and panels. I am amazed how perfectly they work in this little space. Livi's Nana Erickson and her Erickson aunties made them for her - darling!!! I just can't decide how to mount them (yeah, they are just sitting there, not secured at all). I'm thinking glue dots or foam adhesive tape? We'll be flipping her bed over (to make it a loft bed) in a couple years, and when we do, I'll have to move the letters...trying not to pull up the fabric underneath. Dilemma. 
This is the wall in her doorway. The temple photo is an idea I borrowed from Deseret Book - it's of the LA Temple. The  subway art below I created on PicMonkey, mod podged to a white spray painted wood plaque and then hung! I also made another one with Livi's birth stats the same way.
This is the wall to the left as you enter her room. I have a darling coat stand we've been using, but I needed to free up the entry floor space. I found the cute flip flops coat rack at Ross for $3, score. I had planned to make a bulletin board similar to the one hanging above it, but found this one at Target for $6 and couldn't resist the timesaver it was (plus I probably would have spent more to make one). Because baby boy will be joining us in May, the crib is staying in the room. 
Livi's reading corner. I had imagined a big corner full of fluffy pillows and tons of books - but given her smaller room, giant slide (that she plays on EVERY day or I'd take it out), and the fact her room will soon house 2,  I opted for a smaller corner. This is just right for her. The racks are the spice racks from IKEA. I bought them months ago planning to paint them and possibly add a fabric front...well, you can see how on top of things I've been. Nothing's happened to them. They've sat in a corner collecting dust; so I opted to just put them up and get some use out of them! Someday I'll paint them...when they need a face lift after years of book use.
Here's the little shelf I hung (also from IKEA, notice a theme?). I took this picture not because of my stellar decorating job on it (I'm still going to be moving things around) but so you can see the other subway art I created for Livi. I can't wait to create one for our little guy in May!
This was going to be the big reading corner, but it is the "big toys" corner: slide, rocking horse, toy box, blocks, kitchen and dollhouse. Olivia plays with almost every toy everyday, so it's easiest to just keep them all out and accessible, even if it isn't "pretty". When baby boy arrives, I'll look into decorating his wall with some cute boy vinyl decals or something. White blank walls are pretty lame.
So here's the second half to this post: NO MORE BINKY!!! Yes, I've known for months that it was time to give it up, but the thought of the withdrawal process just made me ill. I was dealing with being sick during my first trimester, and then there was a trip to Livermore for Thanksgiving and another trip to Utah for Christmas...so I kept putting it off. I decided I wanted to enjoy my holidays. But the holidays have come and gone, it was time to get down to business. Wow. I have been amazed how simple it's been with the "fun princess" changes in her room and an amazing gift from Lala and Papa Phelps (a Christmas gift that I set aside just for this occasion). We've been talking about how binkies are for babies and how Livi is such a big girl for a few days now. I told her that when her princess bed was all done, we were going to have a "happy to you" (her way of saying party and present) to say goodbye to her binkies. Tonight was the night. Only with Aaron's help did I get the spice racks hung for her reading corner - the last touch for now in her room. She loves her new room, so after playing in it for awhile I brought in her gift and we had another mini "no more binkies" talk and then put her binkies in a box for Mommy to put away. She didn't even seem sad; she was far too focused on her big gift I think. The photo above is when she saw what was inside the bag, she gasped with excitement and then said "WOW!".  We pretended we were princesses for the balance of the evening, and there wasn't another word said about binkies.
Enjoy the video...

I said "smile like a princess!" and this was the cheeseball face I got instead. Silly girl. You'll notice that after opening her gift she had to put on her princess skirt over her jammies and wear her princess crown.
Can she get any cuter? Seriously?! I love this little princess, and I love that she's all girl.
She loves twirling in front of the mirror while singing "I know..." (the song from Sleeping Beauty, except the only words she knows are "I know", so she just sings them over and over again). 
She is one silly girl. She wanted me to take her picture with her crown this way but refused to smile.
And here's my little princess. 2 years old and 3 months - binky free and all princess'd out!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Kris! Especially the video!! And her room is darling! You have done an amazing job!! I can't wait to see it in person. Love you all.
    Mom/Lala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her room is so dang cute I cant stand it!! You did a wonderful job putting it together!! :) The video is darling of her:) Thanks for posting all about it It sure is fun to see it! :)

    Love you!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her room Kristen! So adorable! And i'm still loving that subway art :-) I need to jump on that no more binky bandwagon with spencer. We'll get there! Glad to hear you are doing well! (This is chelsea, your unknown friend!)

    ReplyDelete